Business Development Manager - Smart Buildings & Devices
Leap’s mission is to combat climate change by enabling a reliable electric grid that runs on clean energy. The electric grid is transforming from dirty (but predictable) fossil fuels to clean (but less predictable) renewable energy. To do so, the grid needs more flexible demand and supply to help maintain stability and reliability.
Leap plays a crucial role in opening up wholesale energy markets to all distributed energy resources, enabling our partners to get paid for providing flexibility to the grid.
Leap is a privately-held tech company with funding from top VCs and well-known energy entrepreneurs. Our core operations are in the San Francisco Bay Area and Utrecht (NL), but we are a distributed workplace with teammates based in locations such as: Atlanta, Boston, Boulder, Columbus, New York City, Portland, and Salt Lake.
Who are we looking for?
We’re seeking a creative and driven individual who will be responsible for developing partnerships, formulating strategies and delivering innovative energy programs to our partners. The right candidate will bring a strong network and knowledge of smart home and smart building technologies/companies.
This is a highly strategic role that will focus on growing and deepening our partnerships in the connected and built environment for homes and commercial buildings, helping them understand how working with Leap can unlock new revenue and positive customer attribution.This position is essential in helping Leap to grow our business in existing and new markets.
Here’s what we hope you bring:
- 5+ years of experience in business development, corporate development or sales.
- Strong data, analytical and financial modeling abilities
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- Have a strong network within clean energy development, IOT, or energy management
- Love to build new relationships and close deals that benefit both your company and your partner
- Appreciate an open discussion with colleagues and customers
- Enjoy working collaboratively in a team with a diverse group of amazingly talented and fun people, but you are also perfectly capable of working independently
- Experience is definitely a plus, but willingness to learn and innovate is a must
In this role you will:
- Use your network and market knowledge to grow Leap’s partnerships in the smart home & smart building space, working with software and hardware partners to drive growth across energy markets.
- Structure deals that enable our partners to capture new grid services revenues from their core products and services while contributing to a cleaner and more stable electrical grid
- Collaborate with Leap’s Partner Success team to launch new partnerships on Leap’s platform, contributing to onboarding and solution development efforts that address partner needs, ensure Leap is delivering value, and create a positive partner experience. A successful candidate will not only engage across the smart building/device vertical, but bring that education back into the Leap ecosystem continuing to help us evolve as a company to better support our partner base.
- Leverage your industry knowledge to help Leap’s data analytics, product and marketing teams develop solutions that scale our partners’ businesses through better customer engagement, opportunity sizing, and more efficient market participation.
- Engage with partners to collect and synthesize industry data, product feedback and provide input to our market development, product, and engineering teams. A successful candidate is actively supporting Leap’s expansion into new programs and product offerings.
- Identify and develop relationships with new channel partners to develop innovative solutions for smart devices & buildings and drive top-of-the-funnel growth for Leap
- Develop a deep knowledge of Leap’s programs as well as the ability to analyze and estimate the value of those programs for our partners.
- Increase Leap’s visibility within the smart home & building industry, including participating in industry working groups and collaborating with our marketing team to develop thought-leadership pieces.
What’s it like to work at Leap?
Product: At our core we are a tech company. We love technical challenges and build things that we are proud of and would like to use ourselves. Everyone is highly involved in building and designing our products, making them extremely valuable and a pleasure to use.
Purpose: Some of us worked in energy before, some of us haven’t. All of us would like to make a difference and do our part in helping the world move towards a more resilient grid run on renewable energy.
Fun: We work hard, but enjoy our time at work as well as outside of work. With the team spread out over multiple time zones we also embraced flexibility early on, and are focused on results instead of time spent or presence.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
What to expect from the screening process
Intro Chat: You’ll speak to a Recruiter about your background and interests and get a chance to learn more about Leap. You’ll also have some time to ask questions.
Behavior Interview: Chat with your potential future Manager via Zoom - you’ll chat for about an hour with the Manager and one of the people with whom you’ll be working. What are we looking for at this stage:
- Can the candidate provide the team with structure/guidance?
- Does the candidate have experience dealing with problems? How do they solve problems?
- How do they work cross-functionally?
- How do they execute? How do they communicate (can they communicate downward, upward laterally)?
- You’ll also have some time to ask questions of the team.
Technical Interview: Chat with your potential future co-workers via Zoom - you’ll chat for about an hour with a few of the people with whom you’ll be collaborating. What are we looking for at this stage:
- How do they work, make decisions and process information?
- In-depth understanding of their business development management & energy storage experience.
- You’ll also have some time to ask questions of the team.
Compensation call: A Recruiter will reach out to you with a salary range based on the criteria listed below to ensure there is alignment. If so, a final interview will be scheduled.
Founder Interview: Chat with your potential future C-level executive via Zoom - you’ll chat for about 30 minutes with leadership. What are we looking for at this stage:
- Will this person bring an aspect of diverse opinions, experiences, and specialized skills which enhances not just the team, but the overall company culture.
- You’ll also have some time to ask questions.
Background check: We’ll ask to speak with two to three people who can speak to your work.
Our decision: If you’re selected, we’ll make an offer and open the avenues for communication with our team members to support you in making your decision. If you’re not selected in the current round, we promise to give you some context as to why not, if you’d find that useful. Keep in mind that we’re growing, and we expect there to be many future opportunities!
Note that our clients are mostly US-based, and so we look for the ability to communicate with clarity in English, verbally and in writing.
Compensation & Benefits
We use a compensation calculator to keep the ranges as equitable as possible. We start with a benchmark, then include a location factor and a compa ratio (your experience level). For a candidate in Denver, CO, the range is $153,000 - $168,000.
- 100% Remote work with flexible schedule
- Healthcare + dental + vision coverage for you (and partner or family)
- Life, AD&D, and long-term disability insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Employee Assistance Program
- Unlimited paid time off, holidays (3 weeks minimum/year are encouraged)